Sunday, April 2, 2017

To NaPoWriMo ‘17

They say that art heals,
And I certainly know that to be true.
In my experience, great literature
has always brought me solace.
What I write is not “great” nor,
to be exact, “literature”.
My poems entertain me,
occasionally others, but that is
the extent of their powers.

But this year, I am in need of healing.
I have drained myself dry in service to others
and need an excuse to spend time on me.
Poetry will be that excuse.
I will carve out the time to write a daily poem.
I will allow myself the quiet and stillness needed to create.
I will allow a few drops of creativity to water
the barren desert that is my creative life.
I will nurture the writer in me, selfishly,
forcefully, fiercely, until I craft, or jot,
a daily poem. NaPoWriMo, an awkward mouthful,
may not allow me to create art,
but it will create healing. So yes,

Art heals.

No comments:

Post a Comment