Thursday, April 6, 2017

Bombing Syria April 6, 2017


This is a response to something that's happening today, pretty much as I type. My heart is breaking on many levels. But that doesn't mean I know the answers.

Tonight the bombs started in Syria.

Too late? Not enough? A sign that

Trump really isn’t a puppet of Russia?

I don’t know the answer.

All I know is that Syria has suffered

bloodshed and loss for the past six years.

Civil war is never pretty.


Had we and others taken the refugees

we promised to take, how many could

have been saved?


The pitied dead children splashed across

our television screens were feared

as terrorists not two months ago.


Are we so cowardly that we fear babies?.

That we let them die on oceans, in

bombed and gassed cities?

When we know that pediatricians

were killed, hospitals bombed,

targeting children to weaken morale.

Medecins sans Frontieres has told the story.

They are bombed by both sides.

“Accidentally” we are told.


The UN, that toothless watchdog,

Has called Syria “the worst humanitarian disaster

of our time

Our time.

The worst.

And things are pretty bad when we

look around.



I have nothing to give but

prayers and keening.

My Celtic blood boils in anger

and grief. It bubbles up through

my throat into a wild wail, rivaling

the banshees.

Keening for the dead

Keening for those soon to die

Keening for the death of humanity.


No comments:

Post a Comment