Sunday, April 9, 2017

“Ah, Bartelby! Ah, humanity!”


“Ah, Bartelby! Ah, humanity!”



“I would prefer not to,” said Bartelby,

much to the despair of the Lawyer.

But I can tell you, those are some of

the best words in literature.



I would prefer not to much of the time.

Prefer not to be underemployed

Prefer not to grade papers

(I love to read them, but not grade.)

Prefer not to care about the state of politics.

Prefer not to be responsible.

Prefer not to smile in the face of stupidity.



But there are things I would prefer to do.

Prefer to sleep until I wake naturally.

Prefer to snuggle with my cats and read.

Prefer to sit in the sun with my dog.

Prefer to write not just in snatched moments.

Prefer ease and leisure and peace.



But that is not the lot of the common woman,

or man, either, to be strictly fair.

So instead, we prefer not to, but only in our hearts.

And unlike Bartleby, we do, do it all, every day

Because not all of us can turn our

faces to the wall and die.

For that way, madness lies.

No comments:

Post a Comment