Saturday, April 22, 2017

“Carson-Newman College, Summer ‘78”

I have missed over a week thanks to a challenge at work, and even tonight, I cheat. I wrote this for Napowrimo  4 years ago. But today's march for science made me remember this girl.

“Carson-Newman College, Summer ‘78”

Once upon a time, I was a girl who wrote a paper on
“The Effects of Triacontanol on the Total Lipid Content of Wheat Plants.”
Triacontanol, a fatty alcohol, C30H62O.
Once I could even draw a picture of its molecules.
Cutting edge research back then. Something new to help food yields.
National Science Foundation, Summer Science Training Program.

Working in a team, we each took a component: protein, lipids, carbohydrates.
But first we grew the wheat from seed, carefully applying different concentrations.
On the roof of the science building, a greenhouse hot as blazes.
Plants needed nurturing: watered twice a day, fed, measured, protected.
Mice loved to eat the tender green shoots.  Dr. Naylor killed one with a broom.
One hard thwack and no more mouse.  His glee at its death shook me badly.

Then harvested, ground, lipids extracted. The hood fan was off;
I entertained lab mates with half-mast eyes and slurred speech.
Gas chromatography to do the counts.
Preparing the plates for the reading took a day. Palest blue polymer gel.

Who was that girl? Just reading the specs of a chromatograph today
Leaves my eyes glazed.  What happened to her? She loved being in the lab.
Loved using the words that sounded so smart because deep down, she was, too.
But rarely got the chance to show it.
That small Baptist school in a little Tennessee town ironically liberating.
Her first taste of what it was like to be one of many instead of one alone.

That once upon a time girl retreated to the comfort of words.
After a scientific start, majored in English: a 180° turn occasionally regretted.
If honest, more often than occasionally lately. The humanities will kill you.

Today I am a woman who tells students, females especially:
STEM, the only way to go. Science, technology, engineering, math.
If you want a job, remember STEM. I am glad to be that woman.
But where was she when I needed her to remind me
Of the joy of donning a lab coat, goggles and gloves?

No comments:

Post a Comment