Monday, April 3, 2017

The Block

Pressure mounts.
I’ve vowed to write,
and write I shall.
But the page gleams white
as themes flit through,
tried, rejected, then another grasped.
The first, too painful;
the second, too trite.
Another looms with possibility:
something about my son and
the intricacies of Fallout: New Vegas.
The non-linear narrative and
role of chance and choice
on the gamer’s conception of reality
is a subject ripe for poetic analysis.
The flaw inherent here?
I have no idea what I’m talking about.

But that doesn’t stop me from
brooding upon the effects this
type of open world action role-playing
video game narrative will have on
the future of storytelling and literature.
The literary critic in me ponders,
weighing the possible ramifications
on the narrative form and whether this
is the end of civilization as we know it.
But the visionary in me, the futurist,
rejoices in the possibilities ahead.
These much-maligned but brilliant
Millennials will bring changes to
a form I know and love well.
I can’t wait to see what’s coming.
They hold such promise for a new world.
We raised them to be different from us,
and when they are, so many complain.
(I confess to a soft spot for them—
I feel more myself with them than
with many of my peers, who seem so old.)
These young ones who don’t see gender,
race, religion as “we” do and so will build
a better world. Or so I dream.
These young ones who blithely
traverse, on video screens, the post-
apocalyptic scenes that were the
stuff of my Cold War childhood’s nightmares.
What I feared would be my fate,
They find a playground, museum,
or perhaps just another imaginary
backdrop to practice strategy.
Yes, I think, there’s something there.
Something that may
be a bridge to understanding,
or, conversely, the uncrossable divide.
Only time and thought and work
will tell.


No comments:

Post a Comment