Monday, April 10, 2017

A Poem in Honor of New Supreme Court Justice Gorsuch* (SATIRE)


A Poem in Honor of New Supreme Court Justice Gorsuch*

*in imitation of his style



_THE LARK, while she her Gratitude to prove,

Lauds with her sprightly Notes, immortal Jov

Shuts not his Ear against the SPARROWS Lays;

Whose tuneless Pipe can only chirp his Praise.

Thus I, tho' Learned Bards before have strung

Their sounding Lyres, and most divinely Sung,

Fear not the Dictates of my Soul to own;

The less of Art, the more of Love is shown:

Vouchsafe, Great Justice, to hear my humble Muse,

And let my Zeal my Want of Skill excuse.

HAIL! Hero born to rule, and reconcile

The fatal Discords of our American Law!

When round the Continent the Trump of Fame

Did America's Glory in your Right proclaim,

Tyrannick Democrats, as with Thunder scar'd,

Sent up their Prayers impending Fates to ward;

Whilst RUSSIA's LION brav'd his threaten'd Chain,

Rowl'd his Glad Eyes, and stretch'd his Paws again.

BY your fam'd Justice, and your prudent Sway,

WOMEN shall be taught to Love, or to Obey.

WELCOME great Guardian of our American Law;

Receive the Court rescu'd by thy Hand.

A wicked Race of Men, for private Ends,

Had rais'd her baffled Foes, and sunk her Friends,

Dispers'd her Strength, and Republicans betray'd:

When Heav'n, in Pity to those suppliant Few,

Who own'd its Power, and kept their Vows to YOU,

Came to our Aid, revers'd our low'ring Fate,

And by thy destin'd ARM retriev'd the State.



Finis



OK, so this entire poem is plagiarized with a few changes of country and so on, from Susanna Centlivre’s poem “A POEM. Humbly Presented to His most Sacred Majesty” written for George I in 1714.


Not that I’m making a political statement. Nope.


I’m just too lazy to write my own poem today. And the overblown style of this one just matches my feelings so well. And it has the word Trump in it, already capitalized. I mean, kismet.


Wait, plagiarism is wrong? Who knew?







No comments:

Post a Comment