Friday, April 24, 2015

NaPoWriMo #24--"Writer's Block"



Writer’s Block

When students struggle with writing papers
they often tell me it’s because of “writer’s block.”
“Nonsense,” I boom.  “There is no such thing,
especially in this kind of paper. Not a lot of
creativity involved!” And there’s not.
Actually, after years working as a reporter.
I learned that in non-fiction, writer’s block
is a luxury none can afford.  With strict deadlines,
Bob’s yer uncle, the writing gets done.
All the impetus in the world to churn out prose.
But tonight, as I said, “I have to write today’s
poem,” I heard myself mumble,
“But I have writer’s block!” I laughed,
opened a WORD file, and lo, a poem was born.
Have a strict deadline, and Mary’s yer auntie,
the poem gets done. It might be weak, it might
be silly, but it’s there, a start. As I tell students:
there’s something to this discipline thing, so WRITE.

No comments:

Post a Comment