Tuesday, April 21, 2015

NaPoWriMo #21 -- "Upon A Yawn"

Upon a Yawn


I thought it was a simple exchange of gases:

my brain both needed to bring in oxygen

and dump the carbon dioxide. Shallow

breathing brought on by tiredness has

all my balances askew. But then I learned

that it might just be that my brain is

overheated and needs to cool. I think I

like that idea better. It certainly feels as if

my brains are boiling at times. But if that is so,

drinking hot tea (even though mint and

green) probably isn’t helping the situation.

The cause isn’t all that important. As long as

I don’t gape at students. They gawp at me,

and I take umbrage. I really do. At least cover

your mouth! “Am I boring you?” I sweetly ask.

One had the temerity to say, “Yeah, sorta.”

My haughty “I heartily beg your pardon” clued him

in to his faux-pas. Well, the second one. No one does

haughty like me in a snit. Perhaps, though, my

body is telling me “take a rest.” I think that’s it.

Good thought, but work beckons, so once more

into the breach; the quivering nostrils the only

clue to the quietly stifled sign of a teacher’s lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment